Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Question from a Coworker 1

I think I might turn "A Question from a Coworker" into a series, seeing as how I get questions from coworkers about bicycling and "de-car-ing" all the time.

One of the most recent questions was "What are you going to do in the Winter now that you don't have a car?"

Honestly, my first response is "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"

I then remind the person that I only had an SUV for a YEAR and was a regular bus rider and occasional cyclist before then and I was totally fine.
I explain that I talk to many other cyclists online about this very subject.
I tell said coworkers about this dude, who rides in Wisconsin all winter


And then I refer to Jill Homer and her article on NPR regarding biking in the snow.

I figure, if these people can ride in the snow, then I can should have no reason to gripe about my commute. I mean, I live in Southern California, we never get snow. The only extreme weather we have is when temps get as high as 120 degrees in the summer, and the wildfires, mustn't forget those.

And people worry about me riding in the winter. **rolls eyes**

Give me some good rain gear for those rare rainy days and I'm set.

6 comments:

Bruce's Bike Blog said...

Hi--I see that no one has left you a comment yet--looks like I might be the first, so hope it dosen't seem wierd... I turned down a six months job at UC Irvine because it looked too expensive and there didn't seem to be much for bike routes--I wanted to try to live there without a car.

It looks like you've found a way to do that--really cool. I wish I could have found out more about Irvine, Orange, LA area. I think I can get a job there and not use a car. Good luck with the commutes!

Cheers! Bruce Tucson

Smudgemo said...

I get the same questions and "concerns" about riding in winter. Being from WI, I'd hardly call the SF bay area weather adverse. Besides, if it's raining that hard, I can take the train and bus and still not touch the car.

I'll admit I had quite a few mornings where my fingers got so cold that they hurt for awhile in the office, but that just means I need better gloves, right?

Righteous Metal Broad said...

SF Bay area? No, I'm lower, just outside Los Angeles. Were it's HOTTER.

I swear, some of the people I work with would be out of their depth in a parking lot puddle.

Kudos to you for biking in WI weather.

Oh and Bruce, I've only been to Irvine once (for an Iron Maiden concert) and I just remember it was quite the drive from Los Angeles. I cannot see how someone could make that commute from LA on a bike on a regular basis.

About 3-5 years ago, I would have said that Los Angeles County was unsuitable for bicycling but we have been getting better. The public transportation is getting better. We are getting more bike lanes, etc. We still have a very long way to go, but we're getting there.

SD_pedalpower said...

I'll taking snow biking over 120 degree biking any day :)

David Glandon said...

Thanks for the link! One good turn deserves another so I have your link no my page. Winter biking is not tough at all. I did it all last year. Just learn to layer, clean the bike offten, and be more aware of traffic. As winter approaches I will have more articals on the subject. I'll check in from time to time. See Ya

Tiago said...

Riding in Winter is so nice as in summer. I ride in Paris, sometimes whe got minus 9C (48f) and five minutes after starting your commute, you are allready "hot"... You'll get the same fun, Believe me !
A have a nice "ride"... and keep going whith your blog, it's pretty cool.

xxx

Tiago

out riding

out riding
riding my flying pigeon