Monday, June 2, 2008

Should I quit public transportation?

(Holy shit another update yay! posted on myspace 5/27/08)

Yeah, the only reason I'm still taking the bus part of the way to work is because my job doesn't have showers and it's freaking hot in the Valley. Otherwise, I figure I can just stop taking public transportation alltogether and just ride everywhere everyday. I got my endurance up. Maybe I should keep baby wipes on me. I was told they work wonderfully if you just cannot shower. And the other bicyclist at work lives 5 miles farther than me, bikes all the way to work and home and he doesn't smell horrible at all. hmm... decisions decisions.

Other than that, it's really unsafe to ride out in the streets. Sure we belong in the streets:

Bicycle Use. VC 21200
Every person riding a bicycle upon a street or highway has all the rights and is subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle.

AND

Duty of Bicycle Operator: Operation On Roadway. VC 21202
a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

When overtaking and passing another bicycle or motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
b) Any person operating a bicycle on a one-way street or highway with two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of such roadway as practicable.


Damn, it's even in the fucking DMV driver's manual, I should now, it's been about a year and a half since I got my drivers license.
But it's still unsafe, must I go on about the drunk drivers? I already blogged about them. How about just drivers in general? Drivers just downright hate bicyclists. I honestly do not know why we garner so much animosity, I've spoken to many other cyclists. We all get screamed at every now and then, it could be anything from "Get on the sidewalk!" to "You fucken FAG!".

One even told me he got "Hey bikey, why don't you go and ride a bike!!" now isn't that the most stupidest thing EVER?!!!

Oh, and I didn't mention in my last post that I pass by temptation whilst riding on the bike path home. I pass by a Best Buy, BevMo and Borders, mmm electronic, wine and books.

Also, I've been doing my best to network with other Los Angeles and SFV cyclists for some good old fashioned bicycle activism. I feel it's my personal responsibility to make the streets a bit more safe for the rest of the people who are just too scared to ride. Especially now with the price of oil well over $130 a barrel. Besides, activism is fun!

oh and I sold my piece of sh!te SUV... most of the stuff on/in it didn't work anyway...

quit the gym because biking is loads better and the gym was a waste of very precious time...

damn, I've simplified quite a bit...

No comments:

out riding

out riding
riding my flying pigeon